THE DO’S & DON’TS OF PICTURE DAY ‘DOS!
I’ve compiled a list of tips to help avoid hair nightmares on the big day. It’s important to keep in mind that photos come out best when children look like they normally do. That way when you look at the photos years later, you’ll see them as they were.
But, there’s nothing wrong with spending a little extra time on your child’s hair on picture day morning. “BedHead” isn’t something we want to remember!
Tips for School Pictures:
- DON’T get your child’s haircut the day before picture day! We’ve heard horror stories at the salon from parents trying to get their kid’s in for last minute fixes.
- DO plan on scheduling your child’s haircut two weeks before. This will give you and your child time to get used to the style, and leaves you with enough time to fix any bad cuts.
Picture Day Hairstyles
- DON’T try a new hairstyle for the first time on the morning of picture day. The hairstyle must be comfortable for your child, because if it’s not, she may fool around with her hair during the day. Trust me, what looks cute at breakfast often doesn’t look the same by lunchtime!
- DO remember; it’s your child’s school picture, not her wedding photo. Kids should look like kids! Choose a look that is natural, rather than fussy.
- DO try quick and easy hairstyles from my book, Cozy’s Complete Guide to Girls’ Hair. Just make sure you have them down BEFORE the big day!
- DON’T shampoo your child’s hair the morning of picture day. If there isn’t enough time to dry, your child’s hair may still look damper extra frizzy by the time the picture is taken.
- DO shampoo and use a leave-in conditioner the night before. In the morning you can use a little more, or scrunch in some water to re-activate the conditioner. This will enhance curls, smooth hair, and can help add body and shine.
- DO use a light styling cream or alcohol-free styling gel in the morning. You want to help hold a neat, smooth style without the hair looking stiff slick. Try one of my SoCozy products for foolproof styling!